November 24, 2014
A brilliant elementary school teacher, other than me (heheh) taught her students a novel approach to the traditional Thanksgiving “I am Thankful For” paper. She instructed her kiddos to think of those things in life they absolutely hate, and of how those undesirable things often lead to something else that is good. For example: “I am thankful for feeling sad when Grandma and Grandpa are away from me because…that means that I have a grandma and grandpa who love me.” I love this strategy for teaching thanksgiving, so I am going to do my own, grownup version, of this classic Thanksgiving writing assignment.
I’m Thankful for These Things That Suck!
- I’m thankful for the complete failures of Liberals and their big-government initiatives because…watching the Left implode under the weight of its own delusions is immensely entertaining.
- I’m thankful that I grew up in a relatively poor family who had little of worldly substance because…it taught me thrift, creativity, and how to properly prioritize what is truly important in life.
- I’m thankful that I am a single lady because…that means I’m not with the wrong man!
- I’m thankful for the terrible heartbreaks of my life because…that means that I am wiser and more compassionate than I would be if life had been easy.
- I’m thankful for past transgressions because…they laid a foundation of for my life of conscious restitution to God and my fellow beings.
- I’m thankful for the fury that comes from my enemies because…that means I stand firm for something important.
- I’m thankful for my individualistic–sometimes non-compliant–children because…that means that my kids feel secure and confident in being their own people.
- I’m thankful for the money I had to pay to repair my car because…that means I have car, and the ability to go where I want, when I want.
- I’m thankful for my bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome because…that means I have hands that work and I can type, A LOT!
- I’m thankful for the fact that some of my articles piss people off because…that always results in higher traffic to Reagangirl.com, and a buttload of exposure!
- I’m thankful for the angry comments on my articles because…that means that someone has been stirred out of complacency by something I have written.
- I’m thankful for the little repairs I must do to keep up my old house because…that means I have an old, well-constructed, comfortable, warm house to live in.
- I’m thankful that I have to scrub my toilet every other day because…that means that I can go to the bathroom indoors.
- I’m thankful for the messy leaves and branches in my back yard because…that means I have a big yard with beautiful trees, and that I was blessed to enjoy the falling leaves of Autumn.
- I’m thankful for the creases around my eyes and mouth because…that means I have smiled through most of my life.
- I’m thankful for the scars on my body because…that means I have survived pain and illness.
- I’m thankful for the heartache I feel when my children suffer and struggle because…it means I have been blessed with children and the rich experience and deep love that raising children can bring.
- I’m thankful that I don’t have a big house in an expensive neighborhood because…that means I can devote my life to ideas, and good causes, and the people I love.
- I’m thankful for the sadness I feel when I visit the graves of my parents and brother because…that means I am able to love.
- I’m thankful for the nights when I stay awake worrying about the dangers that face my beloved country because…that means that I still have a country, and the time to help save it.
This is your homework assignment: Please use the comments section of ReaganGirl.com to express those things in your life that suck, but for which you are thankful because it means that you are blessed. This is your Thanksgiving with a Twist.
By Marjorie Haun, November 24, 2014