February 5, 2014
Mental and emotional health are inseparable from a strong sense of identity and self-worth. Many factors can bring an individual to the point of hopelessness, but one cannot ignore the compounding effects of a godless culture and a government determined to destroy the achievement and wealth of its citizens.
The United States is always in crisis mode these days. These ongoing crises, it seems, can be traced, directly or indirectly, to the activities of government. America’s spiritual crisis is no different. In spite of the personal nature of the crisis of spirit that threatens our families, communities, and our national identity, its roots are the same Progressive ideology that has forced our economy into a tailspin.
The concept of limited government, as expressed in the Founding Documents, is one which promotes the individual, his life, liberty, and right to own property above all other considerations. Government in the Age of Obama has perilously diminished the importance of the individual, his rights to life and property, and his moral responsibility to himself and the civil society of which he is a part. As the value of the definite and distinct individual life dwindles, the indefinite and amorphous collective is exalted. And when this occurs, the life, liberty, and property if the individual may be confiscated, distributed, or eliminated according to the needs of the collective, with violence if necessary.
Obama’s progressive ideology and the policies which extend from it are antithetical to the principles of our Founding. Progressivism opposes God, diminishes the individual, punishes achievement, crushes incentive, and ultimately destroys hope. These forces, along with an increasingly depraved and godless culture, lie at the roots of despair and suicide in the Age of Obama.
What is the relationship between Obama’s big government policies and the conditions that lead to increased suicide rates?
- Obama’s push for bigger government has lead to more regulations, higher taxes and other forms of interference that have hobbled the economy. Unemployment, despite the safety nets now in place, diminishes an individual’s sense of worth and purpose and will almost always lead to depression in people who once provided for themselves. The specters of joblessness, unemployment benefits running out, and a poor economic outlook compromise the ‘personal fiscal cliff’ that leads some to consider suicide. Many studies correlate recession and unemployment with increased suicide rates.
- Obama’s Leftist/Progressive ideology is threatened by traditional religious norms regarding marriage and the rearing of families. Marriage and the nuclear family are the institutions that actualize individual achievement, expression, and loving relationships between God and people more effectively than any other earthly conception. Big government needs disaffected and dependent people to justify its existence. So, whether intended or not, leftist policies and the overreaching of government weaken families. Men have no incentive to marry and become providers for their families. And the welfare state indulges one-parent households with government subsidies that reward those who bear children outside of marriage.
- Men are especially hard-hit by divorce and breakups. The biological and spiritual identity of men is intimately linked to their role as providers, protectors, and leaders of a family. The dissimulation of families as well as the disaffection that comes with multiple “baby-daddies and baby-mommies” is devastating to the human identity and are factors in increased rates of suicide.
DRUGS AND ALCOHOL
- It’s conventional wisdom that drugs and/or alcohol are often a form of self-medication and that the initial ‘numbing’ effect experienced by a user will turn into addiction with continued use. But why do people–and most users begin when they’re in their teens–have the need to address such sever psychological pain? What is the source of the kind of pain that drives people to harm their bodies and break the law? The estrangement suffered by children who experience divorce, fractured families, the confusion of having two or more homes, and constant shuffling and uncertainty can bring on despair.
- When God and prayer were kicked out of the public school system, the best protection of childhood innocence went with them. Children are now taught that perfect conformity to the culture/state is life’s highest purpose. They are taught that they live in a country with an unjust and oppressive history, and that they are to be ashamed of their national identity. They are exposed to a multiplicity of perversions, from having contraceptives made available by the school, to the acceptance of LGBT groups in the school, and the rejection of Judeo-Christian organizations and observances. What is there in the modern school system that teaches children hope, self-worth, and the absolute morality and boundless love of God? As schools become more secular, young people become more addicted and subject to despair.
- Sexual immorality has replaced commitment and marriage as the social norm, but its deleterious effects have not decreased with its acceptance. Children and teens who are sexualized early on are much more likely than those who wait until later in life to have sex to attempt suicide. The pop-culture deceives the very young to accept sexually inappropriate conduct as ‘cool’ and desirable. The progressive nanny state reinforces sexual immorality first by pretending that the Commandments of God are arcane and passe, and by fostering activities that mitigate the consequences of sexual immorality, from paying for the abortion of an unwanted baby, to paying for housing, food, education, childcare, medicine etc. for those whose lifestyles almost guarantee impoverishment.
- Abortion may permanently traumatize the mind and/or body of a woman. Shame, guilt, isolation, and unfulfilled needs may affect the woman who, as a consequence of sexual immorality, ended the life of a baby for whom she was not ready. Depression, unmitigated grief, and suicidal thoughts often follow an abortion.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases may not always carry a death sentence, but one’s health can be affected for life. The incidence of sterility in people of child-bearing age increases. Embarrassment, social stigma, and ongoing medical issues all factor into the increased risk of suicide among singles who contract a venereal disease.
- The American Military is now losing more warriors to suicide than to combat. Multiple deployments, post-traumatic stress, and extended time away from family may be factors in this terrible statistic. But those conditions are not exclusive to the wars of the last 12 years. Are cultural pressures coming from Progressives in the Obama Administration placing our warriors under unwarranted new stresses? Is the lack of purpose, vision, and strong leadership impacting the morale and long-term psychological well-being of Military personnel? Do our fighters feel conflicted and confused because their Commander in Chief displays contempt for the country and constitution they have sworn to defend? Have rules of engagement that compromise American safety and effectiveness and which give the edge to our enemies make the idea of combat intolerable for some who serve?
Mesa County, Colorado–my home–suffered a record number of suicides in 2012. The number is very likely under-reported and medical examiners try to protect families by withholding details of the circumstances surrounding suicides from reporters. As of January 6, two additional suicides (one of which was an acquaintance of mine) had occurred in this semi-rural, medium-sized town. There is ordinarily an uptick in suicides following the excitement of the Holidays. But if the trend continues, my Western Colorado home will have to withstand another grim record year.
Leftist policies separate us from God. Leftist/Progressive ideology supplants with the power and authority of God with the power and authority of the state. It teaches that the state is the source wisdom and morality, and the means of physical security, and that man will be judged, not according to the Commandments of God, but by the moral Decalogue of the ‘collective good.’
Mental and emotional health are inseparable from a strong sense of identity and self-worth. Myriad factors can be identified that bring an individual to the point of utter hopelessness, but one cannot ignore the compounding effects of a godless culture and a government determined to destroy the achievement and wealth of its citizens.
by Marjorie Haun 2/5/14
Tags: Abortion, addiction, alcoholism, bondage, emasculation of men, liberty, marriage, military, Obama's policies, psychological problems, sin, suffering, suicide, unemployment